Frequently Asked Questions About Hiring Horse Transport

1. What licence do I need to hire a horsebox?

You can drive a horsebox up to 3.5 tonnes on a standard car licence. Over 7.5t you need a C1 licence, but if you passed your test before Jan 1997, you should already have this on your existing standard car licence. If you passed your test after this date you will need to sit an addition test which is fairly straight forward to do. If you want to drive a vehicle over 7.5t, you will need an HGV licence.

2. What age must I be to hire a horsebox?

Our insurance applies to people over 25 years old and below 70 years old. If you are below 25 y.o, we will need to request cover from our insurers and this will be considered on a case by case basis. You should contact Myrentalhorsebox on 07711671985 to discuss prior to making a booking.

3. What happens if I have speeding points or an "at fault" accident claim?

Hirers can have 2 three point speeding convictions and one "at fault" accident claim to be covered under our insurance. Above that, we will need to refer you to our insurers who will consider on a case by case basis.

4. What happens if the hired horsebox is damaged?

Damage to the vehicle of a value greater than £750 is covered by our insurance (see terms and conditions for details). Damage up to £750 must be paid for by the hirer. This is due to the excess on our insurance policy. All horses must be insured to travel in our vehicles. Our insurance does not cover injury to horses or third party damage by horses.

5. What if the horsebox lorry breaks down?

Horsebox lorries hired with roadside recovery assistance (strongly recommended for both parties) will be attended to by Equine Rescue Services to get you back on the road. In the event that a repair can not be made, arrangements will be made to return horses to the destination of the hirers choice, and the horsebox lorry will be returned to the destination of the owners choice.

6. Do I need an operators licence to hire a horsebox?

We have confirmed with DEFRA that an operators licence is not required in this instance provided the vehicle is used for self drive horsebox hire drive by individuals not engaged in a commercial activity. This is because the licence relates to the user who will not under our terms and conditions be using the vehicle for "the carriage of goods in connection with a business". In addition, our terms and conditions do not permit the transport of horses for more than 8 hours continuously, another condition of holding an operators licence. The owners may not drive the horsebox themselves for hire or reward without an operators licence.


If you have any further questions please contact us.